Thursday, September 25, 2008

Mom needs time out

How overwhelmed I get sometimes! Why do I not leave time in the day for a "time out"? I have even been finding it exhausting when people ask me how I am doing. I am really tired of trying to explain why I am tired or the reasons I am sleep deprived.

But what I've really been thinking about for the last couple of days is that our kids must be as tired and overwhelmed as we are. I mean sure, they have natural energy, but they are also learning and physically growing, and taking so much in - trying to cope with their incredible world. Of course they are going to act out sometimes! I have two friends whose boys have been "in trouble" for hitting or kicking, and they feel awful, like they are the only ones in the world, which is too bad. I look at the busy little lives of our boys, and think they deserve a pass! It is the first time they have been in preschool (the friends' boys), starting Awanna as well as Wednesday evening programs. So all of a sudden, these boys not only have day preschool with new rules, new teachers and new kids to get along with, but they are also having evening activities that keep them revved up and mess with their sleep patterns. I think they just need a little slower pace, and a little grace when they don't quite immediately get the new sets of rules and boundaries.

Blessings to the moms out there, loving and teaching their preschool kids - I wish you all a good night's sleep, and a clean slate for a new day tomorrow.

1 comment:

barefootmommy said...

funny...time outs for me have been my theme lately!