Saturday, September 6, 2008




Yesteday was a bit hectic, but I was thankful that I got myself to start a pot of stew in the morning. The meat and potatoes were already cooking on low by the time we left for the open house at Esperanza's preschool. For a small school, I was amazed by how many people where there! We visited her classroom, saw her name on the table and in her cubby box. There is a neat playroom and arts and crafts room. I thought we would be there a short time, but both kids were running around having fun, so we were there about an hour and a half! By then, I was very hungry and ready for a latte, so we headed back toward home. Unfortunately, the nectarine Esperanza had at breakfast time decided to violently disagree with her. This happened once before on a trip to the zoo. I think it is when she eats with the peel on.

After lots of cleanup, and tea and soup for lunch to calm all of our stomachs, I got back to the stew pot. I got some onions and zucchini from the garden, and then started excavating the carrots. The clay-filled soil in our garden makes it so I can't pull them out. Either the greens come off, or the roots break into pieces. But using my weed-digging tool, I was finally able to get quite a few. I also had fun watching the many tiny green frogs jumping through the garden. There is a cute picture of Esperanza holding a frog - searching for frogs is one of our favorite backyard activities. I just wanted to say, for the record, that although I am not an avid gardener, I like the fact that birds and frogs like my effort, and it is a small piece of ground that can be a habitat amidst the boring lawns that surround us.

1 comment:

barefootmommy said...

It's so fun to read what you are writing, and what goes on in your day. Thanks for updating the blog!